Friday, April 23, 2010

A Day in the Life

Taking a break from chronological posting to give you guys a peek into our day today. It started off a little rough with hosting Mom's Morning Out, where our group of kiddos was abnormally wild and abusive to each other. I was also having mini anxiety attacks about getting packed and moved, which I finally remedied by going around throwing random stuff away. My day perked up with a lunch date with my friend Melissa, accompanied by a Dr. Pepper flowing into my veins. Claire did look very cute rocking her first "ponytail" today, but still got called a boy at Target.



Then tonight Kenley was just hilarious for some reason. First, she busted out two words I didn't know she knew, "creative" and "distracted," using them both correctly. She then made up a wonderful song, to which I wrote down the lyrics immediately. Ready? "Just be yourself... just wear the clothes you like.... they might not be stylish.... but that's okay.... You should just wear the clothes you like... they might not be stylish on you.... but they are stylish on me...." Yes. Wonderful little ditty. She then requested I film her doing an encore presentation of the song, so you're in luck. She was insistent on holding a sparkly microphone, but copped some serious 15-year-old attitude when I suggested she use it. Enjoy....


I have reserved Friday nights for "Lazy Dinner Night," and tonight we enjoyed a feast of watermelon, white rice, and chicken nuggets. However, we had chicken nuggets earlier this week for lunch, and Kenley grumpily informed me, "Mom! I can't keep eating chicken nuggets all day or I am going to turn into a fat kid!" Awesome.

She then chastised Parker for twirling in the curtains: "Parker! How many times has Mom asked you to not spin in the curtains! She probably has told you a hundred times, so you need to STOP!" Glad I don't even have to parent anymore. Thanks, Kenley!

Finally, she endured a moral dilemma when I suggested turning on the Disney radio station on pandora.com while we cleaned, and trying to get the front room clean in two songs. Her problem? "Mom, I really want to mind you.... but.... I really love music and it makes me want to dance. So I'm worried I will just have to dance and I won't be able to mind you and clean. But.... I really like music and want to listen to it while I clean, but I don't think I'll be able to. I just don't know what the right choice is...." So I let her dance to a few and then we cleaned. It's all about the compromise. I will treat you to a few dance videos, as Kenley varies her dancing to match the type of music. I had to include the Lion King one because of Parker's off-rhythm stomping that accompanies Kenley's lovely interpretive ballet. Are these kids entertaining or what?



And that, my friends, is a pretty typical day in the life. PS: I really HOPE it goes without saying that my fashionista chose her own clothes, styled her own hair, and built a giant fort in the middle of my living room.

6 comments:

Scott and Brianne said...

we just watched the lion king one about 5 times. so cute and so funny! hopefully we can see those kiddos soon... :)

Kerry said...

I can barely type because I am still laughing! And here we thought Kenley was shy! She just needs a camera turned on to lose all inhibition. And Parker has got rythm to spare. He can even sell some to Claire so she can bust a move too. One of the all time best posts.

Unknown said...

That is pretty darn funny. Great dancing, I must say and I love Kenley's parenting tactics. Our kids take over for us too, which is nice ("Annabel, I can't understand what you're saying. Just talk like a normal girl" "Bruce, when I say "No", the answer is NO!") And I love the little intermission in the middle of the singing video. Our daughter has been acting 15 since she was one :) Have fun packing!

Jessica said...

So where does Kenley get her mad skills from. That was too cute. WE sure do miss you all, hope the moving plans are going well.

leah said...

I think Kenley has got to be the funniest little girl with the biggest personality that I know. I can see this girl wanting to be an actress or definitely something in the lime light in the future. I mean, come on,...especially with those rockin' dance moves and great lyrics that she made up all on her own? And topped off with attitude that is way beyond her years? Yes, we have an upcoming star on So You Think You Can Dance and American Idol. I loved her cleaning and dancing dilemma too. But really, come on, we all want to know where she learned those dance moves and her great sense of fashion.....Katie?

April said...

Um, I need to come live with your family