Friday, November 14, 2008

Olivia



Some things about being a mother to a little girl were easy to anticipate, others not so much. I have loved the book "Olivia" for years, since way before I had Kenley. I envisioned myself curled up with my little girl, reading it together and laughing at Olivia's silly antics. It took a while, Kenley has had no interest in it until now, but it's her current favorite, and she chooses it every single night. We do laugh together at the funny parts, and she mouths all the words along with me, her eyes shining.

What I didn't anticipate was having a daughter who is so absolutely horrified by any sort of naughty behavior, that when it gets to the part where Olivia recreates a Jackson Pollock painting on her wall, Kenley is so traumatized by Olivia's naughtiness and consequent time-out that she has to go sit in her chair and stare at the wall - her back ramrod-straight, breathing shallowly, until she hears the words, "Then it's time for a nice bath...." And then she comes scurrying back to my lap.

I try so hard not to laugh, because it really embarrasses her, but oh my goodness. I wish I could capture it on film for you all. I'll try - it's that funny.

5 comments:

provoloner said...

Okay that was hilarious.

Thank you.

Kerry said...

I cannot stop laughing!!!!

leah said...

THAT IS SO HILARIOUS! Wow! You can't get that girl to rebel even if you wanted to! And out of all things to be so upset about- one day she will understand the beauty of Jackson Pollock's art. he he

leah said...

I hope that some day Boedy will be at least half as entertaining as Kenley!

Harrison Happenings said...

We LOVE olivia!! I almost named Sydney Olivia because I love the books som much, but then I thought about the day she found out she was named after a pig. She loves the books now, unfortunately she doesn't get upset about the naughtiness. Sydney just laughs and laughs.