Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Last Morning Like This

Tomorrow when I wake up it will be the last time I wake up the same way I have grown accustomed to this summer. Kenley always wakes up first and comes into bed with me. I don't know what time she comes in - maybe 7ish? Then she either curls her little body up next to mine and goes back to sleep, or lays there just hanging out while I keep sleeping, since I'm essentially incapable of waking up before 8am nowadays. I love it when she's awake, and every so often I open my eyes and look at her, and she gives me her sweet little smile and pats my cheek. I love her so much.

More and more now that the kids share a room, Parker comes in with her, but those mornings aren't as peaceful since they fight over who cuddles on a certain side of the bed, and who gets the mysteriously less favorable side. Other mornings it is Parker who finally wakes me up closer to eight, as he moseys in bleating, "Food. Food." He likes to eat breakfast first thing. Kenley and I watch cartoons on the couch (Total honesty? I sleep some more) and eat later in the morning. Still other mornings Parker just sleeps and sleeps until closer to 9:00. He used to be my early riser, always up by 6:30. Thank goodness for playing hard in the sunshine, it is wearing this little boy out. I love him so much too.

I get really panicked before I have a new baby, thinking how much I like my life the way it is, and wondering how all the changes will change us. We'll see. But I know one way life will for sure change, and that is no more sleeping until 8:00 every morning. But it's been such a blessing to have while it lasted.

PS: Dear New Baby, The kicking all night, sleeping all day thing won't work once you're born. Get that AM/PM thing figured out stat. I don't do up-all-night dance parties.

6 comments:

*katie said...

8:00 sounds so luxuriously fabulous! You're right though, no more of that! Good luck and early congratulations! Can't wait to see the new Hampton Kiddo:)

Anissa said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. When I was sick as a dog with Austin, Ethan and Addison would sleep until like 9:30 or 10 in the morning. Then I'd force myself to get them breakfast, puke up the little food I ate and then they'd play in the family room while I dozed in and out on the couch. They were angels during that period of time and I don't believe it was just luck. It was a huge blessing to me to have 1 year olds that would play well together, let me sleep on the couch, and sleep in way late in the morning. I wouldn't have made it without those blessings, honestly.
I hope this new little one is a great sleeper for you and you're able to get back to that perfecet morning routine quickly. Austin fell into sync with the older kids schedule so fast. It's amazing what kind of influence those older siblings will have on the new arrivals. I loved it.
Good luck and I will pray everything goes smoothly for you and baby. Love you!

Lindsay said...

Good luck tomorrow!! It was so fun catching up with you the other day. How many years had it been? Too many.

Yes, something is just magical about that 8 o'clock hour. When the kiddos sleep until 8am I am just a happier mom.

Unknown said...

It is midnight. Tomorrow we will all be fighting over that new little baby. I hope you are asleep now, because 5:30 am will be here soon enough. I love your little family so much. Love, Grandma Kerry

AJsGirls said...

I can relate to the feelings. Hope all is well and you are snuggling with your new little baby right now. I'm slightly envious.

Jennifer B. said...

I must say, the people at work think it is so funny to see me running around showing off the picture of my new niece and they smile indulgently when I tell them about her family. Thank you so much for the update and thank you for sharing such precious moments and stories!!
Love to you all and congratulations again (she's just as beautiful as your other two babies)!!!