Thursday, March 25, 2010

North to Alaska!

As most of you already know, we are preparing our family for a BIG move this summer! We are heading to Alaska! I know, it seems super random. It really isn't though.

Because you are all dying for the whole story (judging by the numerous phone and Facebook messages received by me and my family members), I will now answer some of the most frequently asked questions, in order of how often I hear them. I've added in some pictures so you can see what we're in for (excuse the weird coloring, that was a crappy camera). Can't wait? I knew it.

1. Why?
Well, first of all, I was born in Alaska and lived there until I was 7, and both my parents grew up there. So all of my grandparents, aunts, and uncles live there, and almost all of my cousins. We have about 50 family members that live within an hour of each other. It's really only my immediate family that lives here. So it's an option that's come up a few times, just for a change, but hasn't really been viable until now. We are going up for a few years so that James can go to school (don't ask yet, that's question 5). My aunt and uncle are very kindly letting us rent an apartment that adjoins their home, and James will be watching the kids and going to school and I will be working.

My dad's side of the family at my aunt and uncle's cabin

2. Did you know it's cold there?
I actually have heard that little-known fact about Alaska. But thanks for your expertise. No, I don't know how cold it gets, and I don't want to. Yes, I will hate that part.

The view from my grandma's cabin.

3. Won't your family miss you?
Desperately. But they understand that we need to do this for our family right now. They are being amazingly wonderful and supportive, although we will be on the webcam weekly so that they can still watch the kiddos grow up before their very eyes.
At my aunt and uncle's cabin. The white behind us is a lake, not snow.

4. Are your kids excited/Do your kids understand?
Kenley gets it, and she's "kind of excited and kind of sad." She is greatly concerned about the fact that they do not have Panda Express, Souplantation, or Disneyland in Alaska. However, she is optimistic about getting to go sledding in her own backyard, and going to the cabin in the summer. I'm coming to realize that Parker is picking up more of this than we're giving him credit for. He pointed out a snow-covered moutain and asked if it was Alaska, and told me today he wanted to move right now, and go build snowmen, and take his McQueen cars. Claire.... it's almost like she doesn't understand at all. Either that or she's REALLY happy about the move, because she just smiles all day long.


Hiking on a cold mountain.

5. Is James still going to be a Pastry Chef? What is he going to major in?
Please pray for us that the answer to that question is NO. He's over it, I'm over it. He has missed virtually every single Christmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Easter, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, etc., which is sad for our whole family. He is gone over 15 hours a day and we are both DONE. Seriously. No more. I have loved being a stay-at-home-mom, but I also love teaching, and I am happy to go back to work so that James can make a career change and get his degree. We are both sooooo ready for a change. His exact career path isn't for sure yet, but it will most likely be something in the healthcare field. He will be starting with his generals and has some time to decide.

Standing on the dock at my grandma's cabin, taken at about midnight.

6. Where in Alaska are you going? Are you going to live in the wilderness? Or an igloo?
I'd prefer not to say our exact location on this public blog, but it will be in a town with a Target, so that I can survive. No on the wildnerness, no on the igloo.

7. When are you coming back? Do you think you might just stay there?
After two years, we will be done living in the apartment and James will hopefully be done with his GE's, and we'll make a decision at that point whether to stay in Alaska to finish his undergrad, or come home and do it here. While I guess it's technically a possibility we could stay there forever, I would say the chances of that are very, very slim. I actually quite love the sun. And Panda Express.

8. Are you sad?
Sort of, but not as much as you would think, which is how I know this is the right thing for our family. I'm really not one for change. With the exception of the seven years in Alaska, and a pesky three year stint at BYU, I have always lived within an hour of my current home. I love California, and I love my life. But we are ready for bigger and better. And if we hate it, we'll just come on home, kick out our renters, and get our old life back! So the way I see it, it can only be a good thing.

9. My husband is so jealous!
That's not a question, I know, but I hear it a LOT.

10. Can we come visit?
Sure! Come on up! We won't have room for you in our place, but we can find you a place to hang out while we show you Alaska!

Did I get all your questions? If not, comment away!

14 comments:

Tyler Jorgenson said...

Sounds like you should open a Panda Express there. One of the executives is in my ward, I'll put in a good word for you.

Katie said...

Seriously? Yes - tell him my daughter and I can't function without it and they need a location up there, STAT.

Lindsay said...

You left out a few answers.
1) Do you have a job already? Don't teachers do fairly well there?
2) Do you know what you'll be teaching?

I love that YOU are going to Alaska, since you were always complaining about the cold in Utah. :) I think it sounds so fun!!

*katie said...

Fun and crazy and WOW! What a great adventure for you and your family. I'm excited to see more pictures and to hear of your adventures!! Good luck!!!

KaraLyn said...

That is wonderful and horrible. It sounds like it will be overall very good for your family, but we will miss you, and your mom will have such a hard time. I miss Erin so much! But we are surviving. I wish you well, and hope that you will keep blogging, so we can feel close.

DenosClan said...

I am so excited for you guys! Leaving your family and friends is never easy but you will create so many wonderful memories for your kids. I know you guys have been trying to figure out how to get James back to school for a while, sometimes you just have to take that leap of faith. Hoping the best for you guys! I wonder how far it is from Idaho to Alaska?! =)

amandamenghini said...

I am certainly one who understands crazy moving/living arrangements for the sake of your husband randomly switching careers. You have to do what you have to do. It certainly sounds like an adventure, and since you don't HAVE to stay for forever, you just get to enjoy all the family. Good luck!

Unknown said...

the whole move sounds exciting and like you said you can always come back. so enjoy the change. these experiences make life fun!

Alicia said...

WOW! that's about all I can say--WOW! Seriously though--I am excited (and sorta jealous! we too are looking for our next "bigger and better"...maybe in a place that starts with an "A", but I'll tell you this--it's not ALASKA!! We'll miss seeing you at your mom's. ;)

Katie said...

Lindsay, I don't have a job yet, but nothing that I've read or heard indicates that it will be a problem to get one, since I have job experience and current Special Ed. credentials.

I anticipate that I will probably be an elementary school Resource Teacher, since that's what I was before I had kids and that's what I want to do.

leah said...

WOAH! I didn't see this coming. I'm sad- I finally move to CA and you are moving away! Not that we have seen each other a whole lot since I've been here, but I still had good intentions to hang out! I'm happy for you though- We moved to San Diego for some of the same reasons as you are moving to Alaska- Toby's work hours were really waring on us as a family- we didn't know how much more we could handle and so far it's been a GREAT decision to make the change (besides that we can barely afford to live here). Alaska will be a whole new adventure and working with James being home will be too. I'm sure there will be things you love and don't love about it, but overall I bet you will be happier with the decision. What part of Alaska will you be moving to? I have an awesome friend who is moving out there in a month- think to Anchorage.... You two would have fun together. She taught 5th grade for a while and loved it. We need to talk!

Maxine Parrish said...

Love the big life changes (apparently, we're also all about that)! Good luck with the move and the adjusting!

Anissa said...

WOW, I'm totally shocked! But I'm also very excited for you. And I'm very excited for myself too... why you ask? because I think I'll actually get to see you up there, whereas in California my chances of seeing you were slim to none. I think we'll be up that way next summer (summer of 2011). Our kids can play outside at our grandparents houses together! I love that neighborhood... so many good memories. Anyway, let's catch up soon. YEAH for new adventures!!!

Lynn Muir said...

I was sad when I first heard this but I think it sounds like you guys are doing what is right for your family and that is never a bad thing. Have a blast! I would love an adventure like this! I just hope you can come back for our traditional Thanksgivings every now and then :) I will miss you!