Sunday, September 12, 2010

Happy 5th Birthday, Kenley!

Today is Kenley's fifth birthday. She's getting to be so big.

Turning five seems like such a milestone birthday, and I can't believe I've been a mom for five years. Kenley is suddenly seeming very big to me lately, and I am really enjoying talking to her and hanging out with her. She has an amazing vocabulary, she's really funny, and she's so curious about the world around her. She loves learning about where different foods and products come from, and loves to learn about other countries, and what life is like in different places around the world. I'm sure I will look back and laugh that I thought I was having an "adult" conversation with a five-year-old, but she really is just so fun to snuggle up and chat with.

One thing I want to remember about Kenley at this age is that she gives the absolute sweetest prayers. A typical prayer would sound something like, "Dear Heavenly Father, I'm so thankful for my mommy. She's the best mommy in the world. She's so nice that she let me have pork tonight for dinner, and even a cookie. Thank you for my dad. He's the best dad. Ever. He's so nice to make me breakfast and take me to school today. Thank you for Parker and Claire. I love them, and they love me too, so much. I'm thankful we had a good lunch today. It was the best lunch ever, in the whole world. And I'm thankful I can play with Madeline. Thank you that Heavenly Father and Jesus love me, and I love them. Please bless Grandma Teddy that her shoulder will feel better, and Grandpa Dick that his sickness will get better. Everyone loves me so much, and I love them too." She's so good about remembering and being grateful for the little details of her day.

Kenley absolutely loves her brother and sister. She and Parker play so well together, and truly are best friends. She will often say the best part of her whole day was "just playing with Parker." They will spend hours together, talking and playing. She absolutely dotes on Claire, too, and loves her to pieces.

Right now Kenley's favorite things are.... playing with Madeline, going to preschool, playing Barbies and Polly Pockets, listening to music, cooking, and playing outside. She absolutely loves everything related to fashion, and spends a great deal of time talking about fashion, color, clothes, etc. She also loves food, and especially going out to eat at Chili's, Panda Express, Souplantation, or Applebees. Her favorite book is "Jessica," by Kevin Henkes, her favorite colors are hot pink and black, her best friend is Madeline, her favorite thing to wear is a dress, and her favorite thing to eat is pork.

Kenley appreciates the little details of life. It's starting to get dark at night now, and the other night Kenley just stared out the window, awestruck at the city lights. I called her for bed, and she said, "Can I just look out the window for a few more minutes? I haven't seen beautiful lights like this since we were in California." And how could I say no? She is so great about noticing and appreciating little things about the world around her.

She is still just a very sweet girl. She's not perfect, and definitely has her moments, but overall, she impresses me daily with how gracious, thankful, considerate, and kind-hearted she is. I can't believe I get to be her mom, and I can't believe I'm about to blink again and have another five years go by. I know that in the future I will yearn for her at this age, that these moments with her so darling and sweet and little are just slipping away. I love to end each day by telling her all the little things she did that made me proud and happy, and seeing her beam with pride. She's really just an amazing gift, and we are so grateful to have her in our family.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

How I love this little girl.

Andrea said...

I want more pictures.

Kerry said...

OK. You must do a new post.