Thursday, March 27, 2008

A big year for a big boy!







Happy Birthday Parker! One year ago today we welcomed you so excitedly into our little family. We were so happy to become a family of four, and to watch Kenley transition from the only little one to the big sister. The moment I saw you I couldn't believe how beautiful you were, and yet how different you looked from Kenley! You were so handsome, with this absolutely gorgeous skin, dark hair, and dark blue eyes. So teeny tiny - it's easy to forget how small babies are, how they just fit right into your arms, no gangly legs overflowing or daredevil leaping onto the floor to chase after a ball. Just miniature, sweet little things. That cry a lot.

I was reading through your journal a few nights ago and I had written that each time I went to the temple when I was pregnant with you, I distinctly felt impressed that you would be a "joy unto our family." How true that has been. You bring so much joy and happiness to us. You are such a happy little guy, so loving and so sweet. You make all of us laugh with your little personality. Sometimes we will be driving and you and Kenley will just bust up laughing in the back seat and I feel like my heart is going to explode with how cute you two are together.

Parker, loving you has been the simplest, most unconditional love I have ever experienced. For me, loving your sister was (and will probably always be) more complicated. She's my first, and she's a girl, and there's just a lot of intense emotions flying around there. But with you it was easier. I have been more relaxed, I have stressed less, I have looked up fewer milestone and growth charts on the internet, and I have just enjoyed you so much. And you have loved me in some ways that were just simple and new to me (your big sis is not the snuggler that you are) - laying your head against my chest, snuggling up in my lap, and giving me the most heartwarming smiles that just radiate your love. It's amazing. You're amazing. I am lucky to be your mommy. Even though I mess up a lot, you make me feel like I'm doing a great job with your eyes full of adoration for such a faulty mom.

While I am looking forward to all the walking, talking, and playing this next year will bring, it is a little bittersweet for me to leave this simple baby love behind. I know that tantrums and arguments lie ahead, along with silly jokes that don't make sense and unreasonable obsessions with cartoon characters. I feel so lucky that for the most part I've had the presence of mind to enjoy this sweet time while it lasts. Thanks, my baby, for a great first year. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

9 comments:

*katie said...

Happy Birthday Parker! Wow, doesn't time fly?!

Whitney said...

Happy Birthday Parker!!! Thanks for coming to play with us last week- it was so fun to see you!

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, how amazing. I have stuff I need to send. I'm sorry it's late. Things have been insane. I can't wait to see all you guys in June!!!

Jer & Di said...

Katie..Whew, i just read through your blog for the 1st time, it was entertaining, I think you should write parenting books!
It was such a treat to see you at Tyler's yesterday and you cake was delicious!
I am having fun catching up with these blogs, so keep on writin'!
Love, Sister J

Unknown said...

What a cute boy! Happy Birthday.

*katie said...

The zoo or Wild Animal Park would be fun, I think those would be a lot easier for me at this point!! :) What days are good for you? Thursdays are the only day I can't...

Jen's Life said...

Happy Late Birthday Paw Paw! Man, is he so grown up. Sorry, I'm so slow to comment on here. I've been slacking in my duties (checking on everyone and their cute kids). Hope you guys are doing well. Miss you!

Rita Christiansen said...

Katie-
Hey I hope you guys do come up this summer!
I'm DYING to hear what name you guys picked for your bakery!!

Annalisa said...

Happy Birthday Parker! Wow, Katie it seems like just a year ago we were all in high school, not really though. Kaia is in Oceanside with her two babies: Maige & Achilles Brodie. Emily is due in May with another girl so she'll have Evelyn & Matilde (Emily married Chris Parks). Anyway...smiles, Anna (Holgerson) Geoff Linc & Hari Hall