Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Happy Birthday Annie!

Photobucket
Happy Birthday to my sweet baby sis! It's hard to believe that there would be people who know me, or even think they know me through my blog, and don't know about my sister. It's her birthday today, and we're missing her as she shares the gospel in Nauvoo, Illinois. I think about my life 16.5 months ago when she left, and what it is now. There are people that I've become friends with since she left that only know me as my own person, or as Kenley and Parker's mommy. And it's funny because I don't even feel like people can really know me without knowing me in the context of Andrea. I couldn't even begin to describe myself without talking about her. So here's what you need to know...
Photobucket
When Andrea comes home in December, she will be a hugely time-consuming part of my life. I love being with my sister. I could spend most of my life side-by-side with her, doing nothing or something and enjoying every minute of it. Well, that's rose-colored glasses. Enjoying most of it. She does drive me nuts sometimes. Andrea has big plans, and always needs the company. Maybe you just had a kid and you don't really feel like going to Vons to buy ice cream at 11pm? Um, too bad. Maybe you haven't run in six months but she needs company for a tiny five mile jog? Lace up your shoes. Maybe you want to go to sleep because it's after midnight? Oh, please. Yeah right.
Photobucket
I can't picture life without my sister. I don't know how many kids I would have so that Kenley can have a chance for what I've had with Andrea. I'm so very, very lucky to have someone that so totally gets me, even though she is so much of a better person. I don't even want to try to count the times one of us has peed our pants laughing so hard together, the kind where your whole face aches and you just can't stop. And you annoy everyone else in the room. We have the very best times together.

She is the best aunt ever. She loves my kids with a fierceness that amazes me. I know one of the hardest things for her about going on a mission was to leave the kids. I know we've been blessed by her serving, and I know she has too. But I am so excited for her to see the little people they've grown into.

And I have to give my husband a huge, huge shout-out. I am so absolutely grateful for his never-ending patience for my love affair with my sister. Sometimes, I would feel bad about having her over for so long, and I would try to make James come out and be a third amigo with us. Usually didn't work. He is so understanding about the time that we spent together when she was here, and the time I'm planning on spending with her when she gets back. I just keep telling him it won't be forever, we have to spend every minute together that we can, because someday she'll be far away and have a family of her own and she won't be here anymore. I'm sure he looks forward to that day, but he is so kind and patient in the meantime. But it's not like he doesn't get anything out of it. I've promised that he can buy the Star Wars game for the Wii before she comes home so at least Luke Skywalker can hang out with him. Now then. Aren't I so nice?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your hubby is a pastry chef and a Star Wars geek? You must be super, duper proud!

Jen's Life said...

Love the comment from James! Katie, I love the relationship that you and Andrea have together. It's always fun hanging out with you girls (Kerry included)! I miss you all so much and I'm sad I don't get to go on the trip to the Y.E. tonight. Have fun celebrating!

Tyler Jorgenson said...

You must be so excited to get Andrea back in a few weeks. Make sure to pay extra attention to the hubby in the mean time.

*katie said...

Yay for Andrea coming home! I love having a sister, especially since I have 5 brothers!!

Sheena Menke said...

There really is no one like Andrea in the whole world, it doesn't really get better than her. Your post captured her perfectly by the way. It's too bad that Andrea is the best at making friends so we have to share her so much, amazingly she still makes us feel incredibly important.

Unknown said...

So, I'm not sure you really now me...but I've met you at least once. I'm Lori and Amy's cousin (on our mom's side), so maybe we're kinda related?? okay, not really...but I also worked and played with Andrea in AK and in Europe, and I love her!! I love your blog...because it's sorta a connection to Andrea...whom I love, love, love, and miss, miss, miss. You're post was so sweet and almost made me cry. I love having a sister too, so I can totally relate, and I loved having a friend like Andrea...she really is one of a kind!!

amandamenghini said...

Uh! I miss her so much! I sent her a package for her birthday- I hope it got there in time.