Friday, December 19, 2008

A few of our latest little stories

Oh, my little Kenley. She is so sweet and funny. She says things every day that just make me so happy. She has such a tender little heart. Yesterday Parker hit her on the head with a plastic golf club and she was crying her little eyes out. I put him in a time-out in his room and then had him come in to say sorry to Kenley. She kisses him and says, "It's okay, buddy." Then she looks up at me with these red, tear-stained eyes and says, "I know he not mean to Mommy." Awww... Then also yesterday Parker inadvertently hurt me as well, and she's patting my back and saying, "It's okay. You're alright Mommy. He not mean to. He not mean to."

Then today we had one of our funniest Kenley moments ever. There are still a few words she really mispronounces, and "poodle" is one of them. She thinks it's called a "toodle." So I let her wear a poodle barrette today just so I could hear her say "toodle" all day, and when she was telling my mom about her toodle barrette, I told her, "Hey Kenley, did you know that Bailey (my mom's dog) is part poodle? His mommy was a poodle." And her head jerks around to my mom, totally confused, and she goes, "Gwandma? You was a toodle?!" After I stopped laughing I had to explain to her that Grandma Kerry isn't Bailey's real mom, that he has a dog mom out there somewhere, who, incidentally is/was a poodle. Or toodle.

Kenley always gets embarrassed when I tell stories about her, so tonight when she overheard me telling my friend Jaime this story, she had to quickly think of something to upstage it, so she shouted from the backseat, "No! Tell her the bad story about the Animal Park!" So at her request, I'll tell you all as well.

Saturday night we met some friends at the Wild Animal Park to see the Festival of Lights. I was really debating because it was FREEZING, but decided to go. So I gather coats, mittens, and hats (don't laugh, it was seriously cold), load the kids in the car, drive an hour to the Wild Animal Park, set up our double jogger, load the kids and winter gear into the stroller, stand in line to shell out $100 for our new passes, finally meet up with our friends (an hour late), where we proceed to first go down to this area where they have these little turtle shells for the kids to play in and on. And then Parker proceeds to fall into the nasty, stinky, cold duck pond, and I have to fish him out. Within our first ten minutes at the Park. Possibly our first five. Yes, he went totally under. Yes, I had a freezing, stinky boy. No, I did not leave the Park. Did you even read all I went through to get there? I changed him into a different jacket on top, then stole a jacket from the Lost and Found (with the Park's permission), stuffed his legs through the arm holes, and tightened it with my hair tie to make him an awesome pair of "pants." And then I told him that he'd dang well better smile and enjoy the night. And you know what? I don't think either of them even liked the Festival of Lights all that much. I love being a mom.

1 comment:

KaraLyn said...

Oh Katie, your kids are darling. You are pretty cute too. Very creative making pants out of a coat. I am glad that hypothermia didn't set in. That would have put a real damper on the party. We are taking our little ones to the Festival of Lights this next week. We will be careful near the pond.