Monday, December 01, 2008

I am Thankful

For this:

For some reason, my thoughts lately keep turning to the group of girls I grew up with and how thankful I am for their friendship. We moved to San Diego in 1987 and quickly became friends with the Muirs, Drakes, Fishers, and Humberstones. Along the way we added a few more families and friends, and in the years that passed, we spent countless hours together. As we got older, the line between my group of friends and Andrea's was blurred as some of us went to college together, got married, and had babies. How lucky we are to still share our ties with these same families.

The morning of Thanksgiving we ran a 5K with the Drakes, and Tara mentioned to me that she thinks that Kenley looks a lot like Andrea at that age. It's really just amazing to me that I now have a child the same age that Andrea was when we moved here. I remember when Jana was born, and now she's in college. Later that day we had Thanksgiving dinner at the Muir home, and as Erin and I laid on the floor together, watching our collective five children play together, I was just so happy to have this, to have these girls. For some reason I thought when I went to college I might lose these friendships, or when I got married, or when I had kids, but here we all still are.

We've all been through trials in our 20 years of friendship, but these girls have supported and sustained me and my family through so much. We have so many wonderful memories together. I love that they know me in the context of my whole family and basically my entire life, that they know where I came from and what has made me who I am. I love that they can pinpoint facial expressions that my kids make, and it's not just me who notices that it looks like a face that Scott or Annie made when they were a kid.

In honor of so many good memories with these girls, I'll share one of my favorites. I was sleeping over at Erin's house, and Alan Sabin was having a sleepover with Devan. Erin and Devan's bedrooms shared a wall, and late that night we had the idea to listen in on their conversation, doubtlessly expecting to hear something like, "Hey, do you like so-and-so?" "Yeah, she's hot." Instead, we heard.... silence.... silence... silence.... and then Alan asking, "Do you ever sleep with your socks on?" So much for the profound conversations of teenage boys. It still makes me laugh.

I love all you girls. You are the best.

Oh, and tomorrow? My sister comes home! We will keep everyone posted on the many parties and get-togethers that I'm sure are forthcoming!

11 comments:

Tyler Jorgenson said...

You can tell that you grew up together because you all have a similar head tilt. :)

Jen's Life said...

Katie, I just love you! You're great! I'm so thankful for all of you girls also. I know I joined the group a little later, but I love that everyone made me feel included and that I feel more comfortable with you girls than with any other group of friends. April and I were just talking the other day about making sure we get together for our breakfast this year. I can't wait to see what's gone on in everyone's lives this last year.

Also, I can't believe Andrea gets home today! I'm sure you're so excited, as am I, even though I won't get to see her for a few more weeks.

April said...

It's true, we have been so extremly blessed to have kept such a tight knit group. I really believe that we all grew up in each others life for multiple reasons.

Please, please give Annie a huge hug for me! I'm so anxious to see her!!!!

The Dobrons said...

Home coming day!!! YAY! I can only imagine what you must be feeling. Can't wait to get all together. That was a sweet post---- we really have a great group of friends!

Erin said...

Ha Ha!!!! I remember that sleepover like it was yesterday. It was so fun to hang out with you over Thanksgiving! I'm so glad our girls are little buddies too! Have fun with Andrea!

Andrea said...

So I'm pretty sure I was there that day. Why aren't I in the pic?! I must've been doing something selfless like taking it. Yes...it's me. Back to the wonderful world of cyberspace. All of you thought I didn't have a blog. Turns out I do. I just haven't been on it in about 3 yrs. Anyway, love these girls. Love to be home. Can't wait to see you all and your million kids.

Katie said...

Uh, that picture is from last Christmas, so you actually weren't there. I believe you were ditching us and hanging out in Georgia at the time. Nice try though.

If you look closely enough, you'll see an engagement ring on April's finger and a baby boy in Erin's belly, both of which were only there in the 2007 edition of the RB Girls' breakfast.

Jana Lyn said...

So I realize that I'm just the little sister of the friends you are talking about but I'm sitting here in my art class with little tears in my eyes. I am grateful to have older sisters who have such good friends that let me follow them around :) I love you all and I can't wait to come home and see Annie!!

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amandamenghini said...

Gosh, we are cute, aren't we?

Are we doing a breakfast this year?!?!? We really have to, especailly now that andrea can grace us with her presence...

leah said...

I thought Cam said that sock comment? I bet those boys feel a sweet connection like us girls...well, probably in a more manly way though. I think about you often and am so grateful like you for the wonderful family of friends I have grown up with. There are memories with all of you that are priceless. I miss you all. I wish I lived closer to take part in more experiences with you all. I'm horrible at keeping in touch- please forgive me and know that I think of you all often and I miss you. I look forward to our little reunion at Christmas!