Saturday, September 04, 2010

A Very Barbie Birthday

If you think you're getting sick of birthday stuff just from this blog, just be thankful you don't live in the Brown House (that's what we call our duplex all together - the separate residences are Big Brown and Little Brown). Anyway, between my kids and Marci's, we have FIVE birthdays in just over a month's time. Yep, everyone but poor Parker has a birthday in either August or September.

So, moving right along with the celebrations, the big girls decided to have a party together. They wanted a Barbie theme, so of course this had to be our first attempt at making a Barbie cake. By the way, I learned a lot doing these Barbie cakes. I won't be obnoxious and point out all the flaws in these cakes these girls are so proud of, but if you're thinking of doing one, I can definitely pass along some tips of what I'll do differently next time. But anyway, I knew right away that the magic was going to be in letting the girls design and decorate their own cakes, which was the highlight of their party. I made some fondant so they could cut out shapes with cookie cutters and stuff to decorate more easily. Our little junior chef fancies herself quite the expert with fondant already, and I would have to agree.  Here they are decorating them the night before.


We decided to have a breakfast birthday party up at my Kay's house. She has a whole garage full of costumes, so after a pancake breakfast, the cousins dressed up as everything from Ninja Turtles to gorgeous princesses.
It was kind of a highlight when my cousin Lori noticed an entertaining misspelling in our birthday banner. Ah, Wal-Mart. You never disappoint.

Harpy Birthday, Kenley and Madeline!

4 comments:

Brianne said...

what lucky girls to have eachother and such great moms to put together such a cool birthday party. sad to miss it as always - we'll definitely need to call on Kenley's actual birthday. Scott could have sworn she was turning 6 - she's just so grown up. :)

Kerry said...

Lovely Barbies! The girls did such a great job. And you can tell they were so proud of their cakes. Harpy Birthday, indeed.

Jen said...

Those are some awesome cakes! Kenley takes after her parents there! I can't believe she's turning 5! What a fun party!

KaraLyn said...

Kenley looks so grownup. We miss seeing her cute little smile